Efficient. Cost-Effective. Expertise. 
Call Us Today
Mom and daughter hugging and smiling in family room

What If We Don’t Agree on a Child Support Number in Mediation?

Mediation is a great option for two parties who no longer want to be together but may still be connected because of children. If children are involved, more than likely, the non-custodial parent will be paying some form of child support. But what happens if the parties do not agree on the child support number in mediation?

What is Child Support?

Child support is the financial obligation of a non-custodial parent. When determining child support, a mediator will look at the entire income of both parties. A person may have an idea of what their opposite party earns and has in savings, but a mediator will be presented with everything, which may surprise some people. Child support can not be determined unless there is a complete representation of each person’s finances.

What Happens When Child Support is Determined?

Once a mediator establishes child support it is not finalized until presented to the courts. Once it is finalized, the non-custodial parent will begin making payments as finalized by the court.

What if I Don’t Agree About the Amount for Payment?

Both parties have the right to contest the child support payment amount. It could be contested because of a change in jobs, or one of the parties remarried, or another reason. If one or both parties want to change the child support payment amount, they will need to request a hearing in front of a judge. Both parties will have the opportunity to make arguments for or against the change requested, and a judge will make the final decision. Usually, a judge will only consider the request as long as a change in circumstances has occurred.

What if I Have Grounds to Change the Child Support Payment Decision?

That’s when you’ll want an expert on your side. Our attorney can guide you through the steps you need to take and be with you as you make your formal request to a judge. Call us today to see how we can help.